Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What happened to morals?

I am a big fan of the show Grey's Anatomy. I was gleefully catching up on a couple episodes that were sitting on our DVR. I can normally separate out my non-negotiable, deal breaking issues that seem to plague these young doctors.

I'm glued to the tv crying (because that's what I do these days!) and I'm listening to Meredith talk Owen into supporting his wife's abortion. Because being a mom would "absolutely kill Christina." I keep watching, but my anger is growing. Would it really kill her? Seriously? What about adoption? If she is so adamantly against being a mother why wouldn't they have done more to stop a BABY (in reality I mean a life) from being conceived. If Owen was so convicted in wanting this baby wouldn't the common ground be to let this baby be born and given to a family that would love him or her unconditionally?

I feel like people are so numb to the fact that abortion means killing a life. A brand new life that never asked to be created. It's not just Grey's Anatomy or even tv in general. It's a shift in society in general. A shift that needs to be reversed. Who are we to decided which baby lives and which doesn't? That is a decision that should be God's.

Shame on you Grey's Anatomy writers! I will be watching something else on Thursdays at 8pm. Well, in reality something else will be taking up space on my dvr. TV shows need to showcase characters with morals. Not make them weak and easily swayed. A show like Greys Anatomy is watched by millions of women and teenage girls...what is the message we want to send to them?

My identity lesson is that just because an idea is popular doesn't make it right. I need to stand up for what I believe in and am passionate about and not just go with the flow.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Renee! I really like this post.

    I read that the show's producer is on the board for the LA Planned Parenthood, so it's not too surprising that this show came up.

    I do have to say though, even though wondering why she didn't try to prevent a pregnancy "harder" so that she wouldn't have to have an abortion is a good question, I think a deeper one would be: why is she so against having a child AT ALL? Why is she so afraid of life, of sacrifice, of growth?

    I would say our culture's mindset of preventing pregnancies (and sometimes, at all costs) has done nothing to promote life, and love, in our country.

    ReplyDelete